Thursday, May 14, 2009

Skynet Daycare


I recently purchased a Woot-Off Roomba 530 and it actually does an admirable job of light vacuuming/sweeping.

Unfortunately my 2-year old daughter is terrified by the thing (she's always been sensitive to the sounds of electric shavers, hairdryers and the like) so we are pretty much constrained to using it overnight. She is so scared of it that the mere mention of the word 'roomba' or 'robot' in connection to a mess will cause her to burst into tears and ask for a cuddle.

I've only occasionally harnessed this fear as a motivating factor for her to clean up/behave/stay out of where she's not supposed to be.

As far as dystopian futures go it's not quite the Terminator or the Matrix, but I like to think I'm doing my little part to make my own little Futurama. I wish I still had my Mobile Armatron so I could drive it into her room at night and steal her fuzzy pink blankie while cackling maniacally.

No comments:

Post a Comment